Monday, February 14, 2011

Homage to Wales


My husband Allister is from Burry Port Wales, Carmarthenshire UK. 
And though he has lived in the states for half of his life now, 
he feels the draw of his past life – his Welsh roots and his celtic 
heritage like a hypnotic, compelling undertow.

I’ve visited Wales only once thus far, and stayed for a month with 
Allister's dear grandmother Anne, and I loved it, the miles of sun-
infused daffodils in February; our wanderings across miles of sand 
beaches, and through the ruins or restorations of amazing castles 
like Kidwelly, Castell Coch, and fantastic Cardiff Castle


Yet my most treasured experience of Wales was visiting our dearest 
poet Dylan Thomas’ home and boathouse and his infamous writing shed 
on the estuary at Laugharne. I wish I had had a digital camera then, 
the array of photos I would have. Ah well, it was 1996. Lovely memories! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...